Friday, September 12, 2008

First week at Trek

 This first week at Trek has been interesting for me. I have been staying at the Mark Centre in Abbotsford. This is where I will be staying for the next 2 months of my time at Trek before I am sent out. Monday and Tuesday we just got an orientation kind of thing. On Monday evening we got an awesome opportunity to read through the whole book of Mark as a group. I found that really cool just to see how everything ties in together. You start to see a pattern of how things play out. You really see how Jesus does not come to speak to the religious people. In fact the religious people were starting to get angry at Jesus and eventually nailed him to the cross. Mark 2 verse 17 says Jesus is talking and says "Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick. I came not to call the righteous, but sinners" All of us are in need of a physician. We are all sick and need a savior, and Jesus is rite there saying here I am here to help you, not condemn you. He is reaching out his hand saying here I am here to help you just let me help.   
 On Wednesday we went on a 3 day retreat to whistler, just a time for bonding and to hang out. It was pretty fun, but at this point I was still having a hard time connecting with other people. Today which is Friday I went to the gym. I was first going to go to apollo gym which is about a 20 minute walk. When I got there I found out the membership was just ridiculously expensive so I just decided to go to the gym which is 15 minutes away from the Mark Centre but the opposite way of the apollo gym. So I had about a 50 minute walk just listening to a sermon by Pastor Matt Chandler. As I finished my workout and walking back to the Mark centre I just started thinking about the sermon I had listened to and this verse came to mind that Matt Chandler had said. It comes out of Luke 12 verse 24 and Jesus is talking and says "Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than birds!" Then later in verse 28 Jesus says "But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith."  God takes care of the ravens, who are pretty much rats with wings, how much more will he take care of us! This is something I have just forgotten and it makes me realize how little my faith is. Really I have just been doubting God and pretty much thinking he isn't going to take care of me. He loves us so much, so much it is hard to comprehend. Trust in God, He's going to take care of you. I don't need to worry about tomorrow, I know God is good and He is going to take care of me no matter what happens. Once I dawned on this I just surrendered all to God, something I haven't been able to do. There is going to be crap in our lives, God never told us it would be easy. Whoever said being a christian means rainbow and butterflies is lying to you. Something God does though is help you through struggles, Jesus doesn't get us around our struggles, but helps us through them. Just read Matthew 26 where Jesus is in Gethsemane, He went through the greatest pain imaginable, and God didn't get him around it but helped him through it.  Something I haven't done in a while is just be alone and let God speak to me and he did today. I encourage you, whoever is reading this to just take time out of your busy schedual and just focus on God and let him speak to you. Really how much do we actually take the time to do that. Were talking about the God of the universe our creator. I know this is difficult for me to do but when you do God will speak to us, we just need to open up and let him speak.