Sunday, October 5, 2008

Trek Training: Week 4- The Church

 So this week we learned about the church. In this culture we have our thinking that the church is a building where we go on Sunday's, hear some one speak do some worship then peace out. In some church's even now a days you have to even dress a certain way, in some church's if you wear a hat, a due rag or a bandanna then you have defiled God. Which is not true. Now you have the legalist church's where there are alot of rules, cant do this, cant do that, dress like this, talk like this, be a fake pretty much, it can be a very detrimental thing. Then you have church's that are really heavy grace, which is good and its true God has alot of grace but people take advantage of that and just have the attitude that I can do whatever I want because God will forgive me. Now Romans 6:1 - What shall we say then, are we to continue in sin so that grace may abound? By no means! 
 The church has a bad rep behind it but thats our fault. Acts 17:24- The God who made the world and everything in it, being Lord of heaven and earth, does not live in temples made by man.
 We find two places in 1 Corinthians where we are told what God's temple is. 1 Corinthians 3:16- Do you not know that you are Gods temple and that Gods spirit dwells in you.
 1 Corinthians 6:19- Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy spirit, with whom you have from God.
 I think the bible is pretty clear on where God's temple is. We are the church as believers. It is not some building made by man. Alot of people believe that because they walk into this building and think they are all good with God, stepping into a building is going to make them rite with God. Now Hebrews 3:6 goes on to say that we are his house. So we are the church, not a building. We are God's home, God's home is a group of people. It is an invitation going out from God almighty to come inside is home, to find rest, to drink, to be fed. God is standing by the door asking us to come in. And hopefully once we start to understand that more we can start meeting groups of believers at peoples houses for small group. Grow and learn with God together. Church is not just a Sunday thing. Its an everyday thing or as my bro's Kevin and Jordan would say, a 3-6-5 thing. 
 I want to also talk about how important the church is to God. The church is referred to as the Bride of Christ. First and for most, God sacrificed his son for the Church. If we are the church and Jesus died for our sins then he died for the church. That is how much God loves the church. 
 Ephesians 5:25- Husbands love your wives as Christ loves the church and gave himself up for her.
 So God loves the church and so should we. Before I write any more on the church something we have to realize and I include myself is, the church is NOT ABOUT ME. I emphasize that because the way our culture is, we can be very selfish people, the Church is about Jesus not us. On that note alot of people complain about the church. I would agree that some church's need to change and may be doing a poor job. Reason's being, could have poor doctrine, arent missional. It is important for church's to be missional, going out into the community, that is what God commands us to do, we hear the message, we live it out and bring it into the community. But there are alot of great church's out there that people like to rag on. The reason being there is something we don't like about it. Such as, I don't like that type of worship style, I don't like the style of the preacher, I don't like this I don't like that alot of Wah, wah, wah, complaining. Again thinking the church is about us. Now this is not new. When God was leading the Israelites from the egyptians the Israelites did not want to rest, God was inviting them but they didn't want accept his invitation so God lets them wonder in the desert and even then God provided for them, feading them, literaly birds falling from the sky for them to eat, bread etc... They just could not see God blessing them there hearts were so hardened and they went on complaining as they eat, not much has changed.  If it is that big of a deal for you then switch church's. Now I know this feeling of being angry with the church at times. But just realize like no marriage is perfect, neither is the church. But we all have one common thing, we all love Jesus. That is the great thing about church, all around the world no matter what language you speak there is a sense of connection because of the spirit and the fact we all love Jesus. I love it. I mean you can just go up to another christian and give him or her a big hug and it would be fine but if you went on the bus and gave some random stranger a hug, he would first think your high, then probably knock you in the face. Church's aren't perfect, if you ever find one that is please tell me, the only perfect church is in heaven. Instead of complaining about certain church's and gossiping about them, you can make an attempt to do better in the church. Because yeah we can complain all we want about how we want change, if so, do something about it. Get involved in a church, make a difference in the church. I know alot of people who claim to be Christians but aren't actively involved in a church community. And then guess who are the ones actively complaining about the church, the ones who aren't involved. I encourage you to get plugged into a church, start going to home groups, serve in your church's. Trust me there are always open positions for people to serve in the church. Also find a church that is suitable for you. Today I went to Mars Hill Church in Seattle. I love the work God is doing through Pastor Mark Driscoll. He started a church in Seattle and its a very modern church. Rite in the city. We need church's in the city. We need Christians in the city. Alot of Christians like to run off in there little communities, or something that I have seen alot of christians in Abbotsford, not saying that we dont need christians in Abby, but we need alot more in the city of Vancouver, lets be in the world but not of it. We need more Christians in the city. Anyway, Mars Hill is a very modern church, it has electric guitars, drums and louder music then we are use to in church. As I looked around it was so awesome to see College students, people my age fill up the building. I know when I go to church and I look around I mostly see older people or families. Rarely do I see people my age going to church. I pray we will start seeing church's rise up in Vancouver where we can see church full of college students. I actually deleated alot of what I wrote on this note, the reason being I caught myself describing a church that I want and think should be like. Again thinking church is all about me. Perfect example on seing how we think about church. You know what, it doesn't matter what music is playing, just as long as its always about Jesus, thats all it should be about, Jesus, he is are main focus, and what I wrote is I hope to see more modern church's rising up, which I think would be sweet, thats what would be ideal for me, but if I don't find a church like that in my area, I am not going to decide not to go to church, and detach myself from that church. Just remember church is all about Jesus. I am so excited to see the future of God's church, he is doing some amazing things in the church that are really exciting, so get involved, get plugged in and love the church. This is what God has put on my heart from this week and what I have learned, this week we are going to be talking about spiritual authority, should be fun. A very touchy topic for alot of Christians, we don't really hear alot of preaching about this in church because well some people may get freaked out and run, but the spiritual realm is real, it is among us, and I am excited to learn about that this week. Thanks for taking the time to read my blog, please continue praying, I appreciate all the prayers that I am getting.

No comments: