Sunday, October 19, 2008

Trek Training: Week 6

Normally I write about what I have learned from our theme this week. But to be honest at the top of my head I wouldn't be able to tell you what I learned this week. It seems that in the last 6 weeks, I have been just thrown with a lot of stuff, a lot of good stuff, but it is so hard to take in everything we have learned in the last 6 weeks. This week I was in a real time of doubt and distance from God. Some people would say, O that's from the devil. That is evil blah blah, but you know what, most of our suffering or times of separation are usually from God. People would then say O why would God do that if he cared about you so much. Some people don't understand that through suffering God can be showing us mercy through that. Highly unpopular view but it is true. God is our father, suffering molds us into who we are. If we went through life and everything was all good and we didn't have any pain we would turn into spoiled brats. Like those kids from who get everything handed to them. You know the type of people I am talking about. This isn't a new thing, everyone knows the world is screwed up. I think everyone would agree that somewhere along the way something went wrong. I mean people are always writing books on how to be happier, look at Oprah. She is always coming out with a new book on how to be happy. We all know it never works. The only way we can find true meaning and joy is in Christ Jesus. But God never says that we won't suffer, in fact he says we will, following Jesus isn't a less painful life, it is just less lonely. I think back to all the suffering I have had in my life and the result of it has ended in being closer to God. This week, it seemed like I couldn't find God anywhere. I felt so distant from him. I felt like I was just getting into a routine and rather than actually focusing on what matters. I have been thrown at with all these questions that I have been wrestling with and ended up forgetting all about Jesus and what he did. Just the simple illustration of the cross. For example, in the last few weeks for me working out, I have felt that it has become a routine where I don't come prepared and I don't give it all I got because it has just become another thing in my life. I got so use to it, I forgot the actual point of working out. Until the other day, Jordan told me, you need to go hard, don't leave that gym until you cant lift a thing. Just that reminded me, wow I totally forgot about actually working out, like actually giving it all I got. Then today at the gym I was just woken up with a sermon by pastor Matt Chandler. Sometimes you need that. Just a person to come along side and point you back in the rite direction. God just simply reminded me of the cross and about how much God loves us and what he did for us. We get so rapped around certain logistics that we sometimes lose site of the cross. I even questioned is God really a fair God, then this week I just herd a bible verse talking about how Jesus died for us. I have herd it millions of times but there is always new things that God speaks through his word. You know what came to mind. Try asking Jesus if he is fair, the one who died, bled for us, and still said forgive them for they no not what they do, and still shows love to those who are crucifying him, tell that to Jesus, if you think He is an unfair God. He leaves the choice up to us, either we want to be with him or we don't, the choice is in our hands, not anyone else's, we need to stop making excuses for ourselves to keep continuing in our sin. Lets stop pretending for a second and lets be real with one another. Stop and actually think about life for a second. There is so much more to it then money, cars and materials. I mean if that was it how sad is our lives. It is absolutely pointless.
Two weeks now until I go to Thailand. I can tell you I am really excited. It is going to be a hard 7 months though trust me. I know it is not going to be easy, there are going to be times where I feel so far from God. Or I will be just so tired and feel like I cant go anymore. There are going to be times of suffering and pain. There are also going to be times of rejoicing and joy. There are going to be times of fun. But you know what, in it all, God is good. Through it all God will be rite there with me. I know he will never abandon me. Check out this video this is what is all about: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U00AwIHcTOw&feature=related

Psalm 94:14, For the Lord will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage.


'Program

1 comment:

Jill said...

Josh, I have been so encouraged reading your blog! I totally agree with what you said, life with Jesus isn't easier, infact I would argue it's WAY harder, but the joy and fulfilment that come from walking in worship, the way we were created is so worth it. I'm praying that you will experience that in new and incredible ways as you go and encounter Jesus in the beautiful and strange Thai culture!