Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Walking in the spirit

Something I was thinking about today was what made my heart change. Like what was it that made me want to do what is rite. What made me change my thoughts and way of thinking. I remember not to long ago about 2 years trying to be better. I was trying to do the rite things, I wanted to do but I couldn't, my mind couldn't understand, I was not walking with the spirit. PastorSs and teachers are going to teach things from the bible, we are going to read the bible and it is going to tell us to live a certain way, but what makes us want to follow that way. What is it that changes are whole concept on life. I know Jesus has changed the way I think about everything but what makes my heart change what makes it real? Cause I struggled with this in Highschool, I was always asking, How can I do this? Jesus I want to do this but I cant. I was really thinking about this today because I know there are so many christians and I was one of these who believe in God, but was I legitamitly Standing in it. Not if I believed but actually STANDING in it. I know I wasn't, I knew of Jesus, and liked to hang with him when I felt like it, but thats like one of those friends you hang out with when no one wants to do anything, when your bored out of your mind and you have to phone that friend that isn't the popular one. You all know what I am talking about... I know alot of you want to stand in the gospel. Not just know it, but actually stand in it. We try so many things, we try to be better, we will say for example, I am not going to do this anymore, what ever this is, doesnt matter. Then before you know it, your doing it again. Or even if you don't do it again, there is still something missing. You can do so many rite things, so many good things yet be so far from God. There is a scary verse Jesus says that really has got to make us think, 
Luke 13:25- When once the master of the house has risen and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ' Lord open to us', then he will answer you, 'I do not know where you come from. 26 Then you will begin to say, we ate and drank in your presence and you taught in our streets. 27 But he will say, I tell you, I do not know where you come from. Depart from me, all you workers of evil!

Is this you, knocking at the door, eating and drinking Jesus presence, but not actually walking with him, or let me put it this way, we can know about your favourite sports athlete. For instance Roberto Luongo, you can know all about his background, all his stats, his wifes name, his kids name, what school he went to etc... You know of him, but he has no idea who you are. And you know about him, but you dont have an actual relationship with him, are you getting me here?... So there is a difference with knowing who Jesus is, and actually standing, walking, in a personal relationship with him. He is inviting us in, but we have to choose weather we want to be in relationship with him. Lets be real here, life is short, and this isn't a scaring tactic, this is real, this is eternity were talking about. There is a difference in believing and standing. Now what makes us stand in Jesus Christ, thats what I wanted to get at. 

1 Corinthians 15:1 - Now I would remind you, brothers, of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, in which you stand. 

SO are you STANDING in the gospel, not do you believe, but standing. The thing that changes are heart, our way of thinking is the holy spirit. 

Acts 1:5 for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit many days from now. 

We were designed to live in the world in the spirit. Through Jesus Christ and the cross the door has been open to the spirit. 

Ephesians 1:17-18 says it all here, 17 that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the father of glory, may give you a spirt of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, 18 having the eyes of your hearts enlightened, that you may know what is the ope to which he has called you, what are the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints. 

John 16:13, When the spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but what ever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 

Guys we need to be walking with the holy spirit. Think of it like a wild goose chase. You are chasing the goose all over the place, its quite an adventure. The holy spirit doesn't follow us, we follow the holy spirit. When Jesus left the earth, he gave us the holy spirit. We need to realize that. This doesn't mean we aren't going to sin, were screwed up, sinful people, but the holy spirit will give you the knowledge and understanding. The spirit will change the way you think trust me, well actually don't trust me, but trust the bible, because it says it in the bible. Romans 7:25. Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself serve the law of God with my mind, but with my flesh I serve the law of sin.
Do you get this? This is amazing, thanks be to Jesus Christ our Lord, that he died on that cross, so we can be forgiven from all our sins. See because before they were judged according to the law, now we are judged under faith, with grace. See the law shows us what sin is. But once Jesus died on the cross in Matthew 27 it says the curtain of the temple tore into two. This opening up the way of the spirit. Our flesh wants to sin, but the mind serves the law of God, and what do you think makes are minds do that? The spirit. We need to be walking with the spirit. Last thing, do not focus on your sin. Do not dwell on it. I know alot of times I am like, K I am not going to do that anymore, what ever that is, then I end up doing it again. Focus on the spirit, who will lead you on a path of righteousness. As you walk in the spirit, you will see a difference. It is the same power that raised Jesus Christ from the dead! Think about that. Man, that should get you excited. 

No comments: